How a new dishwasher is helping healing house reduce plastic waste
Things are changing in the Healing House cafeteria! This month we installed our first industrial dishwasher at the Recovery Community Center. This new appliance allows us to ditch single use plastic ware and invest in reusable dishes. Not only are single- use plastics more costly, they have detrimental effects on the environment. According to the National Resources Defense Council, over 4 billion metric tons of plastics have polluted our planet and its oceans just in the last 15 years. Healing House is committed to establishing more sustainable practices, like doing our dishes, to ensure we can be a part of the solution in saving God’s great earth!
Here’s what you can do to reduce the impact of single-use plastics, according to the University of Colorado Boulder’s Environmental Center:
- Use a reusable water bottle.
- Bring a reusable bag to the store.
- Avoid overly packaged items at the grocery store, such as pre-cut fruits and vegetables.
- Grocery shop at a bulk foods store.
- Repurpose old bottles or containers.
- Opt out of single use silverware when ordering takeout.
Healing House is working hard to further our mission of helping people. This means we must also adapt and implement sustainable practices, so we can continue to impact our communities for many years to come!